Monday, January 5, 2009

A New Commitment

Well I did it. I went to the gym this morning to start a regular routine. I was really proud of myself because it's hard to get started again when you have had weeks off (well, a sporadic visit here and there). I actually woke up even before the alarm went off. I must be excited, right?

So I decided to start with this 4 week program that I have done before. It involves weights, cardio and an ability to time yourself. You do squats, then some weights, some core work (you know, abs and stuff). I did pretty good. Then I decided to do the elliptical. I did manage to last 45 minutes on that. Hey, not bad for just starting up again.

I must admit I was surprised there weren't more new people there at the gym. Most of them were the regulars (including me, of course - because I AM A REGULAR). I did spot a newbie with a trainer. She was warming up on the elliptical before being tortured by weights. Those trainers have a sadistic streak, I swear!

One thing you need to know about gyms if you go early in the morning. It's for regular people who are really there to exercise. We go with mismatched outfits, half-done hair, absolutely no make-up etc. We are really there to exercise. Now, contrast that with the, oh, say, 5 pm crowd. Now if you are looking for a mate or possibly someone to flirt with, that's when you go. None of this 4:30 in morning business. You see people there that have no intention of getting sweat on that outfit! The females have make-up on, hair pulled up nicely and as aforementioned, nice coordinating outfits (they will now be referred to as "spa bunnies"). The guys, well, they are strutting around the weights and checking themselves out in the mirror (oh yea, for correct form). There is also the occasional midlife crisis guy too. They are a hoot to watch. So, if you are looking for someone to flirt with, go then. Occasionally a spa bunny will happen by early in the morning. You can spot her in a second. Nobody looks that good, that early. You're thinking to yourself, "what time did she have to get up to look that good?" I estimate that it's around 20-30 minutes earlier. Imagine her disappointment when she gets there and there are REGULAR, Joe Average (as opposed to Joe six pack) exercisers there. Well, she definitely looks better than all of us but what's the reward? Sweaty people in cotton T-shirts? (yea, no moisture wicking fabric wearers in the bunch!) She soon learns she needs to come later to score. There is one exception to this rule: the aerobics instructor. They usually look pretty good and make darn sure they can out-step, out-spin and out-crosstrain anyone who happens to wander in their class. They would be shamed if they didn't. It's a rule - just accept it.

I will discuss weight room etiquette in a later entry. Really, ya gotta know this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment